Senate Bill 78 (as introduced 1-24-13)
Sponsor: Senator Tom Casperson
Committee: Natural Resources, Environment and Great Lakes
Date Completed: 2-1-13
The bill would amend several parts of the Natural Resources and Environmental
Protection Act to do the following:
- Prohibit the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Natural Resources Commission from promulgating or enforcing a rule or an order that designates or classifies an area of land specifically for the purpose of achieving or maintaining biological diversity.
- Delete the conservation of biological diversity from the DNR's duties regarding forest management, and require the Department to balance its management activities with economic values.
- Eliminate a requirement that the DNR manage forests in a manner that promotes restoration.
- Provide that a State department or agency would not have to designate or classify an area of land specifically for the purpose of achieving or maintaining biological diversity.
- Eliminate the restoration of natural biological diversity from the definition of "conservation."
- Eliminate a reference to "unusual flora and fauna" in the definition of "natural area."
- Delete a legislative finding that most losses of biological diversity are the result of human activity.
Promoting biodiversity, threatened & endangered species, climate change, restoration, and invasive species are all facets of the work that the DNR does in the state. For a long time, a scientifically sound based approach to land management has led to the rebound and stabilization of Michigan's ecosystems and wildlife. Taking a step backward in the way the DNR makes management decisions and removing scientific knowledge from the table is the last thing the state needs moving forward into a future where many environmental concerns & questions remain. Please, take the time to write an email or make a call to any of these state representatives to make your voice heard.
DNR Director Keith Creagh:
Tom Casperson: Call: 517-373-7840
Patrick Colbeck: Call: 517-373-7350
Arlan Meekhof: Call: 517-373-6920
David Robertson: Call: 517-373-1636,
Michael Green: Call: 517-373-1777
Darwin Booher: Call: 517-373-1725
Howard Walker: Call: 517-373-2413